Saturday, August 30, 2008

Worst Airline Nightmare Quiz + report on my six-hour flight (leg one of three) from San Francisco to Miami


"You deserve a medal," whispered the American Airlines flight attendant. She gave me a sympathetic pat on the shoulder, glanced at the screaming toddler next to me and continued down the aisle, away from the ruckus in Row 22. I have never traveled with a toddler under my care on a cross-country flight, but I now feel fully qualified after this six hour-flight from San Francisco, California, to Miami, Florida. This little fellow with the robust vocal cords had a doting support staff of three: mom plus two grandparents catering to his every whim. I tuned out much of the family frenzy by listening to my Ipod (grateful I decided to bring it!).

I am enjoying my hour layover in Miami - though clearly I'm not dressed properly for Rio - many of the women here at the gate are wearing tight, "skinny" jeans, spike heels, plunging necklines and have manes of luscious, long hair.

Next up: fly from Miami to Rio, then Rio to Florianopolis, where I will meet my whale watching tour group at the airport. I may be a little out of it by my arrival time of noon Sunday.

NOTE TO PROCRASTINATORS: Packing this morning, an hour before I left, was not such a hot idea - turned out that clothing/gear for an 11-day mountain bike trip at elevation of 8,000-14,000 feet, business clothes for conference and clothing for the tropics did not fit in my new 4,0000 cubic inch wheeled luggage from Patagonia store. So I have an "overflow" bag ....

Thanks, Luke, for all your tech support, and Jec, for the ride to the airport today.

What do you think is the WORST scenario for a six-hour flight:

a. Sitting squashed next to a generously-sized person
b. Being in close earshot of a screaming baby
c. Having an over-talkative seatmate

Ciao for now!

3 comments:

  1. I've had several, Karen. But I'd say my winner for the most unbearable trip was the many hours from Milan to Chicago sitting next to a drunk who couldn't stop talking. It may have been okay if he made sense, but his six servings of wine made him progressively incoherent. I think the flight attendant kept serving him with the hope that he'd pass out. No such luck. Even when I put on my headphones, he'd pull them off my ear to say something. I'd have changed seats except that the flight was totally full.

    Another was my 12-hour flight from San Francisco to Boston. But, you say, that trip isn't 12 hours long! Yes, it is... when you have to circle Boston because of fog, fly back to JFK to refuel, have to switch to Laguardia because of mechanical problems, fly over Boston again, and circle for two more hours.

    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to go off the board and say the worst scenario is sitting next to a plus-sized preachy evangelical christian with a crying baby and a small bladder (bonus points if she has the window seat).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd vote for the screaming kid - I've had a toddler kicking the back of my seat for many many hours on a trip before... But the other come close to getting my vote also!

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your comments!