Friday, August 29, 2008

Just six degrees of separation between my upcoming trip to Peru and my recently published story about my first skydiving tandem jump



One of the most intriguing responses to my emailed newsletter about my upcoming South America trip came from a fellow right here in Santa Cruz.

"I used to be the coach of the Peruvian National Skydiving Team in the mid-80's," wrote Mark Knutson of Santa Cruz. Turns out that Mark, known as "Shoobi" to friends, and I share an interest in bicycling and are now on the same bike race team.

He is pictured above with actresses Drew Barrymore (left) and Cameron Diaz (right). The celebrities were seen skydiving in the movie Charlie's Angels.

To see the skydiving video and my tandem jump story, read the previous blog entry.

5 comments:

  1. axsynciHi Karen,

    I saw your posting and have been
    trying to get in touch with "shoobi" Knutson for years now.
    I met him when he was here in Portland Oregon and sold him some of his first sewing machines he was using to make his skydiving harnesses.
    I was in hopes that you might be able to pass on my email address to Mark if you happen to see him in the near future.
    He can reach me at gregbrst@gmail.com
    I would greatly appreciate it and i look forward to checking out some more of your articles.
    Sincerely, Greg Oberst

    ReplyDelete
  2. Greetings Karen.
    I greatly appreciate your enabling me to get back in touch with Shoobi.
    I sent him an email and look forward to hearing from him.
    I'm hoping that, in the near future,I'll be able to see him in Santa Cruz.
    I haven't been there since I opened a concert for the Go-Go's forever ago.
    We played at The Catalyst.
    Is it still there?
    Thanks again,and perhaps I'll have the pleasure of meeting you sometime.
    Sincerely, Greg Oberst

    ReplyDelete
  3. Used to skydive with that guy at Zhills in 1981 before the world championships were held there. Crazy dude. At that time he'd only been skydiving a year or two but had over 1000 jumps.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a high school student from his hometown of Stoughton, WI. I'm actually writing a feature about skydiving and have interviewed Shoobi over the phone. He was extremely energetic and helpful. Even sent me some pictures. My question is if i can use this specific picture in our publication.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mttarpinian: The photo belongs to him so I can't say yes or no. You wrote that Shoobi sent you some photos, including the one I used? You should call him on the phone and ask if you can have access to that photo!

      Delete

I welcome your comments!