Monday, April 26, 2010

Mountain Biking Picture of Me, Tongue Out, Elbow Bloodied, Wins Award

Thanks to Conner Jay, photojournalist at The Salinas Californian, I will be immortalized with lolling tongue and crimson elbow. The dramatic photo he took of me after I crashed my mountain bike and skinned my arm on the pavement captures my determination to cross the finish line despite my injury at the Monterey County race in February. I was delighted that he submitted the picture of me, titled "Hardcore" for recognition.  Conner wrote me on April 19, 2010 at 10:41 p.m.

"I thought you might like to know my photo of you won a few awards recently. The National Press Photographers Association and San Francisco Press Photographers Association both gave it first place in their monthly clip contest. Check it out."


Thanks, Conner! Let's hope your next photo of me will be standing proud on the podium!

Judges’ comments for the category

First Place..A different kind of react from a sports event. Kinda of a "pride in the pain" shot. Second Place..Great contrast from victory to defeat in this photo. Third Place..Falling to your knees emotion is hard to find at golf tourneys, and that's what makes this a winner too.
Photographers Leslie Renken, Matt Dayhoff, Ron Johnson, Fred Zwicky of the Peoria Journal Star

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

2 comments:

  1. You're an animal, Karen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You really want it bad. Even bruised and all you still finish the race.

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your comments!