Monday, February 16, 2009

Tour of California Today - worst weather possible!

7 a.m. Monday, February 16, 2009
Santa Cruz, California
It's the day I have waited for at last! The Tour of California bike racers, including Lance Armstrong and the world's best are coming to Santa Cruz. They are expected to arrive at the finish line in downtown Santa Cruz between 1 and 2 p.m.

Never mind the torrential downpour! I am putting on long underwear, a pair of bike tights, a pair of insulated pants and rain pants overtop - my rainboots and many layers on top. I think that should do it for my walking and working in the rain from 7:30 a.m. til 2 p.m.
Yowza!

If I think it's bad for me, just imagine for the 136 racers who are competing in dangerous and wet conditions!

The Santa Cruz Sentinel reported:

The biggest storm of the season struck the region Sunday as high winds and heavy rain contributed to a fatal traffic accident, downed trees and power lines and triggered mudslides and road closures countywide.

The National Weather Servi ce reported a 24-hour total of 1.46 inches of rain in Santa Cruz as of 4 p.m. Sunday, while winds had gusted to 25 mph. Sentinel weather watchers reported significanthigher rainfall totals in the 24-hour period ending 6 p.m. Sunday: More than 4.5 inches of rain was reported in Boulder Creek, while Ben Lomond saw almost 3 inches.

Wish us luck here for the Stage 2 finish!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments!