Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Karen's Observations after One Week in Sao Paulo, Brazil


MEALS
Lunch is the big, sit-down meal in Brazil.
Dinner is sometimes just soup and sandwiches.
Dinner Time: 10 p.m. and 11 p.m. is when I have dined on weekends and weeknights in packed restaurants. The average dinner time? Still not sure - Late! Been going to sleep about 1 a.m. nightly.
Breakfast is light.
Vegetarian WARNING - menus often revolve around meat and starch. Yesterday, I noticed I had rice, pasta and potatoes on my plate. I try to eat fish when available. Food is frequently too salty for my taste.
Favorite meals: casual, self-serve lunch buffets. Price determined by weight of the plate.
Beverages: Sparkling water. I have tried some exotic and delicious fruit drinks and of course, the powerful cocktail made with sugar cane, caipirinha.
Best dessert: Besides dark chocolate, I like "milk pudding," a custard which tastes like flan. Pudim de leite, as it is called, is made from condensed milk.

NIGHTLIFE MYSTERY
I have not yet figured this out: At a live music/restaurant place last Friday night, I was asked to pay a fee to the musicians - on the way out, at the end of the evening. (So was everyone else.) I was confused. Seemed the idea was to pay the cover charge at the end of the night?

FASHION
Women: wear tight, straight-legged jeans (no matter what body type), spike heels and plunging necklines for casual-wear. Long hair. Work apparel is far more conservative. Leather shoes and purses.
Men: Leather shoes, short hair, clean shaven, dress slacks and casual jackets. No grunge look!
Unlike the USA: Only a few baseball caps here and there. Very few hats of any kind for that matter. Sunglasses are not as prevalent here either. The sporty, urban-chic, yoga-class look seems to be absent; perhaps it remains in the gym? Soccer jerseys are popular.

TRAFFIC
Horrendous. Just as everyone warned. The snarl of cars leads to horrible smog.

BICYCLES
I have not noticed anyone commuting by bike. I have seen adults riding bikes in parks for exercise.

LANGUAGE
I have been surprised by how few people speak any English. After about 16 cab rides, I have found only one driver who spoke some English; another could speak Spanish quite well. Most of the front desk at this large, high-rise hotel can not speak English; same with restaurant staff.

DIFFERENT THAN SPANISH
My speaking Spanish has not helped much. I can read Portuguese somewhat but its pronunciation is quite different than Spanish. Portuguese sounds very soft and swishy; there are many "shhh" sounding words and long vowels as in Saaaaoooo Paaaauloooo. The overall effect is a language largely without the staccato beat of consonants.

PEOPLE Despite language barriers, I have encountered friendly, helpful people in Brazil who are patient with my not speaking Portuguese!

3 comments:

  1. All very interesting, but WHERE ARE THE PICTURES OF THE WOMEN IN CARNIVAL COSTUMES???? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your reactions to Brazil after a week sound more like reactions to your own provincianism. Here's yet another American venturing into the world. Shocked that nobody wears baseball caps or speaks English. The best was when you realized that Spanish and Portuguese are indeed different languages. I wonder what insight, as a travel journalist, you will provide on Brazil and other countries. I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your reactions to Brazil after a week sound more like reactions to your own provincianism. Here's yet another American venturing into the world. Shocked that nobody wears baseball caps or speaks English. The best was when you realized that Spanish and Portuguese are indeed different languages. I wonder what kind of insight you will provide on Brazil and other countries. I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your comments!