Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Your fun responses to my South America travel newsletter

Greetings! I sent out a newsletter earlier today with the highlights of my upcoming Brazil and Peru adventures. I got a great response. Here is a selection, below, of the wide variety of helpful tips I received:

OOPS! TECHNICAL GLITCHES
Hey - I got your blog 3 times. I'm not annoyed, I just deleted, but other people might be. Just a heads up to check your email group.
- Mari, Santa Cruz, CA
Note from Karen: Thanks and sorry, folks, to those who got triple the goods. Issue resolved.

I saw this email (xxx) on your blog. Do we now all know the secret address to email posts so they end up on your blog?
- Alex, Santa Cruz, California
Note from Karen: Your fleeting moment to post Fake Karen Blogs has vanished.

OTHER WORLD TRAVELERS
John and I are off on Monday, September 1, for 3 weeks in the South Pacific: Palau, Kosrae, and Guam.
- Diane, San Francisco, California

I am in Shanghai. We're leaving tomorrow night to go to a beautiful place to hike -- where they filmed Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon.
- Elliot, Shanghai

FLIGHTS IN BRAZIL
If they still have it, (5 years ago they did) I suggest you buy a "Skybus" ticket - giving you discounted air travel within Brazil so you can really travel around the huge country. (Carbon Emissions Aside).

- Philip, China

WHERE TO GO IN BRAZIL
Is this your first trip to Brazil?
You don´t want to miss Rio, for example. The Amazon is another interesting must-see. Fernando de Noronha is one of my favorite spots.
- Marilyn, Sao Paulo, Brazil

HEALTH TIPS - SOUTH AMERICA
One thing that can be really handy when you are traveling is to carry grapefruit seed extract with you. You can put a few drops on any salads or into a glass of water to reduce parasite/bacteria dangers. Also I recommend strongly carrying a water filter, as relying on plastic bottles is not only just bad but also not reliable.
- Brooke, Bonny Doon, California

AIRPLANE READING
Here's a link to the book I mentioned - "Smile When You're Lying: The Confessions of a Rogue Travel Writer."
http://www.amazon.com/Smile-When-Youre-Lying-Confessions/dp/0805082093/ref=si3_rdr_bb_product
I thought it was a fun read...bet it'd give you a good laugh being in the biz.
- Laura, Scotts Valley, California


No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments!