Monday, November 22, 2010

No one touched my junk at San Jose Airport and TSA tips on how to travel safely this holiday season

I don't have the power to conduct pat-downs or the authority to use high-powered, x-ray equipment, but I am intently scanning and monitoring the activity of passengers and Transportation Security Administratoin (TSA) agents as they pass through the security gate at San Jose International Airport. I am happy to report I saw no frisky guards here at SJC this morning, the launch of the busy travel season - 24 million travelers will hit the road!


So far, I have witnessed none of the horrors making headline news recently - a breast cancer survivor being asked to remove her prosthetic breast, a young, shirtless boy being patted down aggressively in Utah. And no one has loudly stated what John Tyner said to set off the national outcry over increased security: "Don't touch my junk or I'll have you arrested."

I abandoned my fantasy plan to walk naked through the security area - that could lead to other problems! So instead, I just did as I was told and walked thru the controversial scanner. I was told to put my hands up in the air (as in being arrested) and plant my feet apart on painted footprints on the floor. Then, I knew someone I couldn't see was looking at my body contours to check for concealed weapons.

The only weapon I have is my words! But others are taking action on Wed., Nov. 24. I hope you are not flying that day = unless you are protesting. The protest, National Opt-Out Day, is scheduled for Wednesday to coincide with the busiest travel day of the year. 
Most importantly:

Here are the TSA tips for safe travel- Check them out here!

Helpful Hints for Holiday Travelers - Checklist
Before Packing
0 Quart sized zip top bag (Hint: 1 bag per passenger is permitted)
0 3 ounces or less sized containers of liquids, gels and aerosols
0 Visit TSA.gov to review the prohibited items list for both carry-on and checked baggage
0 If purchasing a luggage lock, be sure to look for those that are recognized by TSA
0 It can be helpful to tape a card with your name and contact information on any large
electronics (like laptops)

When Packing
0 Pack items in layers (shoes one layer, clothes one layer, electronics one layer, etc.)
0 Pack large electronics on top layer of carry-on for easy accessibility
0 Place your 3-1-1 bag with liquids, gels and aerosols in front pocket of your carry-on
for easy accessibility

Before Leaving for Airport
0 Give yourself enough time to arrive at the airport early
0 Wear easily removable shoes 0 Make sure to have accepted government issued identification and boarding pass (if printed at home)

Before Entering Checkpoint
0 Look for Family/Medical Liquids Lanes if special assistance is needed for families
0 Be sure to place all items from pockets and any bulky metal jewelry in carry-on bag or purse
0 Have ID and boarding pass out for inspection

After Entering Checkpoint
0 Remove 3-1-1 bag and place in bin
0 Remove shoes and place directly on belt for quick screening
0 Remove coats and jackets and place in bin 0 Remove computers and large electronics from carry on and place in bin alone (video game
consoles, remote control toys, etc.)
0 Ensure no items remain in your pockets before proceeding to the walk-thru metal detector
or imaging technology (keys, cell phones, comb, eyeglasses, etc.)
0 Remember to check bins and collect all belongings following screening.

Have a safe flight!

5 comments:

  1. Bring spare pad lock in case your hand carried item will be brought as baggage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Always have a first aid kit with you, bring only what you need.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The night before your flight, make a last check up of the things you packed in your suitcase and also put already your tickets and passports in your bag.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Take a close look on your baggage at all times. put your handbag in front of your body so you can feel it all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Be alert always especially inside the airport and just always follow the procedures of the airport.

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your comments!