Monday, January 05, 2009

2009 - Good year so far! New stories, races & more

The new year is off to a good start with personal and professional adventures underway! Here's a snapshot of 2009 so far, in photos and captions:

Jan. 1-7: STORIES ONLINE NOW!

• Away.com Peru stories on Machu Picchu!
Machu Picchu Part 1: Trying to Get Off the Beaten Track
Machu Picchu Part 2: Temple of the Moon
• Story on Monterey in Destination Hyatt is now posted on my website.
• My pet project is a Facebook group I created on the Amgen Tour of California bike race.

Karen at Machu Picchu's ruins near the Temple of the Moon, in October '08.

Jan. 1: NEW YEAR'S EVE



NEW YEAR'S EVE PARTY IN SANTA CRUZ: Pictured here, my mountain bike relay team- mates: Jen Lucia, Henrietta Stern, Winona Hubbard, Karen Kefauver, Tracy Moyle and Rita Leon. Called the Go Go Go Girls, our team will compete in a 24-hour mountain bike (relay) race in May in Northern California. Expect us to look much dirtier!

Race Info: The Coolest 24 Hour Race Against Cancer is held on the Olmstead trail loop in Cool, CA, north of Sacramento. While it is called the Coolest 24 Hour Race Against Cancer, there are three races: kids' race, 8-hour race and a 24-hour race.

Dec. 31: LESSON LEARNED in 2008

Reporter Matthew Cole Scott of Good Times, a Santa Cruz newsweekly, snapped my photo and had me answer a question for its Person on the Street:
Q: What’s the best lesson you learned in 2008, and how did it change you?
A: The best lesson I learned in 2008 was my favorite John Lennon quote, “Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans.” I am now more open to possibilities that I hadn't considered before.
Karen Kefauver
, Santa Cruz | Freelance Writer

2 comments:

  1. Is that Monterrey piece a "press trip" report? If it is, good for you. I've been trying to get one of those for a while. Everybody gets so sanctimonious about it but as a struggling freelance I'd take one of those assignments in a heartbeat. Can you comment about what the piece is and how it works please?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Anonymous, No, I did not go on a press trip to write this story on Monterey. The editor of Destination Hyatt contacted me via email and invited me to do this story, just like I would do any other assignment. I paid my own expenses, drove down there and did the research. The magazine is distributed in Hyatt hotels and it is considered a custom publication.

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your comments!