Thursday, October 16, 2008

Hiking the Inca ruins in Pisaq - a day trip from Cusco, Peru


The Pisaq Ruins were wonderful!


I am in Cusco now until Sunday morning, when I catch a flight to Lima. Below are photos from my day trip today to Pisaq. It took an hour by bus and was well worth it to explore the market and hike to the ruins.


My day started with breakfast and this lovely view of Cusco from Hostal Corihuasi's dining room.


My intention was to shop at the Pisaq market, which attracts vendors from outlying areas. This market happens twice a week - Thursdays and Sundays. As usual, my plans changed.


Locals shop for produce and buy meals at stands, while packs of tourists stroll through the artesan market place to shop for woven goods, ceramics and the woolen hats with earflaps.

I enjoyed people-watching at the market, but just like in the U.S., I don't really like shopping. As usual, I was drawn to a less populated place: a path to the ruins. This dirt trail is not the preferred route of most visitors, who take taxis or buses up the road to the ruins. It took about an hour of steep uphill to reach the ruins.


Hiking to the ruins was amazing - I saw no other tourists on my hour hike upwards and enjoyed spectacular, panoramic views.

Eventually, I did run into all the folks from the tour buses!

More soon!
I have been preparing collections of photos to share with you on my grand adventures. Coming soon, photos and stories on:

* Machu Picchu (1 spectacular day)
* Sacred Rides Bike Tour (11 days)
* Ollantaytambo
* Patacancha
* Inca ruins
* The Amazon in Brazil

2 comments:

  1. Hi Karen,

    It was great meeting with you in Cusco. We are glad you visited Pisaq (I enjoyed your blog and photos are fantastic!) Both of us enjoyed meeting with you and are looking forward to see more of your adventurous stories! Aaron and Midori

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hie Karen,
    You honor me with my e-mail copy. It's true you are formidable, you : american people. I would like french people is like you in 4 years when we'll vote for a new president !!!
    I see you are, you Karen ! a sportwoman and I see you do like strange adventures and go where tourists do not go ! (For instance : in the Antonio'Lodge, Amazonas... it'was very wild non ?)
    I kiss you.
    A+
    Françoise

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your comments!